Croatian Food – Cusine
About Croatian Cusine:
Croatian cuisine is heterogeneous, and is therefore known as “the cuisine of regions”.
Its modern roots date back to Proto-Slavic and ancient periods and the differences in the selection of foodstuffs and forms of cooking are most notable between those on the mainland and those in coastal regions.
Mainland cuisine is more characterized by the earlier Proto-Slavic and the more recent contacts with the more famous gastronomic orders of today – Hungarian, Viennese and Turkish – while the coastal region bears the influences of the Greek, Roman and Illyrian, as well as of the later Mediterranean cuisine – Italian and French.
Croatia has some great red wines. Some of the best ones are Kastelet (especially 1996 and 1997), Plavac and Babic. All of these are from Dalmatia and are especially good with fish and meat dishes, best served at room temp.
One might also wish to try Istrian Merlot, but if you’re travelling to Croatia, you’ll be able to taste some great locally produced wines in konobas, guest houses and bars which are generally not available in shops. For a sweeter, liqueur like dessert wine try Prosek, very smooth, light wine drank after dinner or sometimes as an aperitif.
Some of the better known white wines are Posip, Kastelet and Pljesivica (often drunk in the north mixed with sparkling water, called gemisht) and Daruvarski Rizling, a reizling white wine.
You might also wish to try some Croatia liqueurs, such as Maraschino (made from Maraska cherries in Zadar region), Kruskovac (from pears), Orahovac (walnut), Sljivovica (plum brandy) etc. which vary from region to region. (source: The Croatian National Tourist Office)
Croatian Food and Wine Articles and Photos:
- Dalmatian Cuisine
- Wines of Croatia
- Fish and Fish Specialities of Dalmatia: Dalmatia with its large islands of Brač, Hvar and Mljet and hundreds of smaller islands is a unique area for variety of fishes, fishing and maritime culinary culture.
- Food and Wine in Slavonia
- Croatia Fruit and Veg Photos – small gallery of fruit and veg photos of Croatia
- Food and Wine Photo Gallery
- Food market in Zagreb, Croatia
- Fish in Croatia Photos – fish is very popular food in coastal part of Croatia.