The Island of MLJET is situated couple of hours boat ride east from Island of Korcula towards Dubrovnik. A national park MLJET includes a western part of this green and tranquil island of the Adriatic Coast. The Park is characterized by two deep bays which are called lakes due to their narrow passages to the open sea (Veliko and Malo jezero/ the Great Lake and the Small Lake). Both lakes are surrounded by dense Mediterranean vegetation. There is a tiny island in one of the lakes, called Melita (Mljet) , with 12th century Benedictine monastery. There are a lot of legend connected with this island – one of them is that Mljet was holiday destination of greek hero Ulysses!
About National Park:
The National Park Mljet was established in early sixties of last century. It covers about 30 square kilometers of area on the western bit of Island MLJET, which is about 1/3 of the Island. It consist of two natural salt lakes (Veliko and Malo jezero) that are interconnected by a narrow channel. Veliko jezero (Large Lake) covers the area of 1,5 square kilometers. Malo Jezero (Small Lake) is about 1/4 of square kilometers. The salinity of the water in the lakes is bit lower than in the sea, due to intake of fresh waters. The temperature of the Lakes is usually higher then open sea temperatures for about 4 degrees centigrade. Due to these details, Veliko and Malo Jezero are popular places for visitors to swim in. Both lakes are surrounded with dense old pine forest. In the middle of Veliko Jezero there is a little island called Melita where Benedictine monastery is located.
Mljet hotels: low rates, no booking fees, no cancellation fees. Save money! online hotel reservations in partnership with Booking.com
- Villa Lucija ★★★☆☆ Only 10 metres from the sea in the scenic Polace Bay, the Villa Lucija can be found amid the Island National Park. All rooms have a private bathroom and there is free private parking on site. Prices from €57.00 – Number of rooms: 10 – Check Villa Lucija, Mljet availability
- Atlas Hotel Odisej ★★★☆☆ Set in the National Park on Mljet Island, Hotel Odisej is located on the beach of Pomena. It is entirely air-conditioned and houses a restaurant. Free Wi-Fi is available. The beach features a children’s pool, a beach bar and a diving centre. Prices from €52.00 – Number of rooms: 157 – Check Atlas Hotel Odisej, Mljeti availability
- For alternative accommodation check also Camping on Mljet info
Walking and cycling are allowed all around National Park Mljet. Some parts of the Nationa Park can be reached by car too. National Park Mljet offers a lot of silence and numerous islolated spots to be enjoyed. Check here for Rules of national park.
Accommodation on Mljet: – Hotel Odisej is the only hotel on Mljet Island. Hotel Odisej is located at the very heart of the National Park Mljet. It is built in early eighties in the place called POMENA on the wetern part of Mljet Island. Being located at this position, Hotel ODISEJ is ideal place to stay for nature lovers, recreation enthusiasts, scuba diving fans and all other who wish to enjoy clean blue sea and good food… Mljet Accommodation Page for info and online booking
Not to be missed on Mljet – Saplunara Beach and Bay – unusual bay located on the southeast end of the island Mljet – a longish bay with unusual shape, with two sandy beaches – Large and Small Saplunara, surrounded by a thick pine tree forest. Read more about Island of Mljet at Mljet Travel Guide
- Peljesac Peninsula – with village Prapratno where ferry sails to/from Mljet – check all ferries to Mljet Island – to Sobra ferry port and Polace ferry port
- Map of Mljet Island – click to enlarge
- Mljet Island Map – simple and clear map of Mljet