Split is the main city in Dalmatia. It is one of the largest cites in Croatia, and is the largest city on the Croatia Adriatic coast. The city was first settled when, at the end of the third century AD, the Roman Emperor Diocletian built his palace on the site of today’s Split. Diocletian’s Palace is well preserved Roman palace located now in the very heart of Split.
Many of its historical and cultural monuments are located within the walls of Diocletian’s Palace. One of them is Peristile, the main open space in the palace with it’s colonnade of six columns and the cathedral on eastern side of the square is site not to be missed in Split..
Split has it’s own airport that connects it with Zagreb, as well as other international cities (check flights to Split) . Various ferry lines connect Split with the nearby Adriatic islands (Korcula, Vis, Lastovo) and there is a coastal ferry service between the city and Rijeka to the north and Dubrovnik to the south. There are also daily ferries during the summer that connects Split and Ancona in Italy.
Accommodation in Split:
Hotels in Split:
- Palace Suites ★★★★☆“Boasting the most sought-after location in Diocletian’s Palace on the Main Square of Split, Palace Suites provides luxuriously equipped accommodation with numerous amenities like flat screen TVs and king-size beds.” Prices from €130 – Number of rooms: 8 – Check Palace Suites, Split availability
- Marmont Hotel ★★★★☆“The brand new Marmont Hotel is located in the heart of the old town of Split, only one minute away from Diocletianâ€™s Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The hotel offers a powerful mix of modern and traditional.” Prices from €100 – Number of rooms: 22 – Check Marmont Hotel, Split availability
- Hotel Vestibul Palace ★★★★☆
“The Vestibul hotel is located in the heart of Diocletianâ€™s palace, which makes it an ideal choice for both business people and tourists, having 1,700 years of Split’s history right before the door.” Prices from €30 – Number of rooms: 11 – Check Hotel Vestibul Palace, Split availability
- Hotel Atrium ★★★★★“The unique Hotel Atrium is ideally located in the immediate city centre of Split, near the antique ruins of Diocletian’s Aqueduct, making it a perfect choice for romantic breaks, cultural holidays and business trips.” Prices from €125 – Number of rooms: 101 – Check Hotel Atrium, Split availability + Hotel Marjan – conveniently located hotel in centre of Split
- All hotels in Split – book here! + List of all hotels in Split
Hostels, and Private accommodation in Split:
- Split Hostels, B&B, Private Rooms, Apartments and Guesthouse Accommodation – browse large selection of various Split accommodation pages:
- Placida HostelPlacida Hostel is a beautiful place for young backpackers and is situated in the old town, which is only 5 minutes by walk from the harbour, train station, airport and bus station. We offer 25 beds in spacious renovated and beautifully colour rooms! GreatPrices from €12.90 – Check Placida Hostel, Split availability
- B&B Hotel Kastel – 1700B&B Hotel Kastel offers you private rooms and apartments. All rooms have air-condition, cable TV, private bathroom. Located in Split top center at the most attractive location in town so this can be your moment to remember.Prices from €28.50 – Check B&B Hotel Kastel – 1700, Split availability
- Apartments MarmontWelcome to apartment Marmont *** and experience romantic environment of XIX century in the house built up in Secession style, (1892) restored 2004.The apartment is located in the very town center on the third floor,40 sqm.It is equipped with air condition,Prices from €22.00 – Check Apartments Marmont, Split availability
- List of all Hostels, Apartments, Pansions and Private Accommodation in Split / Split Hostels page 2 / Split Hostels Page 3
More about Split
Of increasing interest to tourists is the city of Split itself with its monumental. 1,700 year-old Diocletian’s Palace -a monument unique, among other things, by the fact that life continues to go on within its walls. It has been since 1979 on the UNESCO World Heritage list, and is reputed to be the best-preserved example of antiquity period imperial palaces. There are no other antiquity period imperial residences, built before or after Diocletian’s palace in Split, that have preserved their original form to this extent.
The most important sight in Split is Diocletian’s palace. Diokletian Palace in Split is a unique structure from the Later Roman Empire by Michael Greenhalgh – The city of Spalato, which means “little palace”, was founded by the emperor Diocletian; he made it his own dwelling-place, and built within it a court and a palace, most part of which has been destroyed. But a few things remain to this day, e.g. the episcopal residence of the city and the church of St Domnus, in which St Domnus himself lies, and which was the resting-place of the same emperor Diocletian. Beneath it are arching vaults, and to cover over the city throughout, and to build his palace and all the living quarters of the city on top of those vaults, which used to be prisons, in which he cruelly confined the saints whom he tormented… read more
Along with the Summer in Split (Split Festival), a renowned cultural event, there are a growing number of new events in Split that attract tourists to this attractive and content-packed city. Summer in Split certainly stands out among culture events which have been joined by new ones: the Busker Festival, the concert program in the Diocletian Cellars, the Changing of the Guard on the Peristyle with the appearance of Diocletian, the Nights of Diocletian and much more. All of this is followed by an increase in the hotel and hospitality industry offer that makes a stay in Split and enjoying its content an interesting and pleasant experience.
Split Arrival and Departure:
Ferries to Split: Ferries from Italy to Split / Ferry Ancona – Split / Ferries Split to Hvar / Ferry Split to Vis..For most comprehensive lisiting of all ferries to and from Split, check Split Ferries @ CroatiaFerries
Buses to Split : Location of Split Bus Station – The bus station in Split is located right next to the train station on the wharf.
Trains to Split : Location of Split Train Station
Split Travel Forum – ask questions and find answers
Small Photo Gallery
Travel News and Blog:
Check Split Travel News from Split Travel Blog – a weblog about travel to Split. Bellow are latest entries from Split Travel Blog:
- The Archaeological Museum of Split – Croatia
- The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments
- SPLIT – The City Museum of Split
- Split Ethnographic Museum
- The Treasury of Split Cathedral
- The Collection of Franciscan Monastery In Poljud – Split
- Split Art Gallery
- Mestrovic’s Gallery in SPLIT
- SPLIT FILM FESTIVAL
About Split-Dalmatia County:
About Split-Dalmatia County: In Split – Dalmatia County, by size the largest county in Croatia, situated in central Dalmatia, there are some 150,000 accommodation units available to tourists, 30,000 of which are in hotels, about 95,000 in private accommodation providers and the remainder in camps, nautical tourism harbours and other types of accommodation. This region is accessible to tourists thanks to an excellent traffic infrastructure – motorways, an airport and a seaport… read more