Trogir is a remarkable example of urban continuity. The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications.
Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period.
Trogir is an excellent example of a medieval town built on and conforming with the layout of a Hellenistic and Roman city that has conserved its urban fabric to an exceptional degree and with the minimum of modern interventions, in which the trajectory of social and cultural development is clearly visible in every aspect of the townscape.
Trogir was founded by Greek colonists from the Island of Vis in the 3rd century BC. On this Antique matrix lies the historical core of Trogir, which is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic but in all of Central Europe.
Trogir’s medieval core, surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle and tower and a series of dwellings and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir’s grandest building is the church of St. Lawrence, whose main west portal is a masterpiece by Radovan, and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in the country. ( See Small Photo Gallery of Trogir )
Trogir, set on a small island less than an hour from Split, is one of the most seductive towns on the Dalmatian coast. Its weathered Romanesque and Venetian-Gothic palaces, churches and monasteries fanning from its antique square have put Trogir on the Unesco list of world heritage sites. A stone bridge makes it accessible from the mainland, a mobile bridge connects it with the island of Ciovo. Originally it was a Greek colony. The city was founded in the third century by the Greeks from Syracuse and it was called Tragurion (Goat Island). After Greeks the city was ruled by Romans, Venetians, French, Austrian Italian and Germans. Apart from many interesting architectural and historical sites, Trogir offers a warm climate, lush green surroundings, a number of good restaurants, cafes and bars.
Accommodation in Trogir:
Trogir hotel reservations – Trogir hotels: low rates, no booking fees, no cancellation fees.
Hotels in Trogir:
- Hotel Fontana ★★★☆☆“Enjoying a privileged location in the old part of the UNESCO-protected mediaeval town of Trogir, the picturesque Hotel Fontana was built of high-quality and ecological materials.” Prices from €48 – Number of rooms: 14 – Check Hotel Fontana, Trogir availability
- Hotel Pasike ★★★☆☆
“Our hotel is situated in the very centre of Trogir, amongst a labyrinth of peaceful and charming streets, free from the sounds of traffic. It was opened in 2004 after an extensive reconstruction project to an old Buble family house.” Prices from €55 – Number of rooms: 8 – Check Hotel Pasike, Trogir availability
- Hotel Vila Tina ★★★☆☆“The family hotel Vila Tina offers you a domestic atmosphere in the idyllic village Arbanija on the Ciovo Peninsula, being close to Trogir and Split.” Prices from €47 – Number of rooms: 20 – Check Hotel Vila Tina, Trogir availability
- Aparthotel Astoria ★★★☆☆
“Aparthotel Astoria is located at the entrance into the settlement of Seget Vranjica, near Trogir, 7 km away from the Airport Split.The aparthotel is opened throughout the year and offers parking space for 30 vehicles. The beach is 300 m away.” Prices from €62 – Number of rooms: 12 – Check Aparthotel Astoria, Trogir availability
- Click for all Trogir Hotels & B&B : Click for large selection of various hotels in Trogir – hotels info, visitor’s reviews and online, instant booking
- Click for instant booking of all Trogir Hotels
Private Accommodation, Rooms and Hostels in Trogir:
Large selection of various accommodation in Trogir:
- Hostel TrogirHostel Trogir is a newly opened hostel situated 200 meters from the old town of Trogir. The town of Trogir is 2000 years old and is famous for its historical monuments such as St. Lovre cathedral and Kamerlengo castle, making it a great place to stay in CPrices from €15.15 – Check Hostel Trogir, Trogir availability
- Villa IvankaYou can feel the greatest comfort and enjoy your holiday in an oasis of beauty and enjoy the clear sea, quality of accomoditation in pleasant Mediterranean surrounding.Prices from €13.77 – Check Villa Ivanka, Trogir availability
- Guesthouse TonioGuest house Tonio in Trogir is located at the very beginning of the island of Ciovo connected by the small bridge to old medieval city of Trogir You need no car; the house is 50 m from the beach and 150 m to the center. You can also BOOK our apartment in SPrices from €18.00 – Check Guesthouse Tonio, Trogir availability
- List of all Hostels, Apartments, Pansions, Private Accommodation in Trogir
- Book Trogir Accommodation – b&b, rooms, hostels, cheap accommodation in Trogir
Trogir Photo Gallery:
More Trogir related info:
- About Trogir / Dalmatia – the region where Trogir is located / Top Tourist Sights of Croatia / UNESCO Heritage – Trogir is part of it / Photo Album of Trogir
Above photo: Traditional wooden boat in Trogir harbour in 1920s