Hrvatsko Zagorje is north-west region of Croatia. Its northern border lies at River Sutla at the border with Slovenia, which is the western border while River Lonja the eastern. The southern border of the Zagorje touches the slopes of Medvednica and city of Zagreb. Hrvatsko Zagorje includes areas around Krapina and Varaždin as well as outskirts of Zagreb, the capital of Croatia.
Hrvatsko Zagorje is rich in history and cultural heritage. It offers numerous medieval castles and fortifications, churches and archaeological sites that attract visitors.
Hrvatsko zagorje in translation means “Croatian upland” . It comprises the whole area north of Medvednica mountain up to Slovenia in the north and west, and up to the regions of Me?imurje and Podravina in the north and east. Hrvatsko Zagorje is administratively split into Krapina-Zagorje county and Varaždin county .
The capital of Hrvatsko Zagorje is Krapina. The city is often referred to as the cultural capital of the Kajkavian language (a dialect of the Croatian language). Every year, the Festival of Kajkavian Culture (Festival kajkavske popevke) takes place in Krapina. The Kajkavian dialect of the Croatian language is very similar to the Slovenian language.
Krapina is located in the hilly Hrvatsko Zagorje region of Croatia, approximately 55 km away from both Zagreb and Varaždin. The town is the centre and capital of the district with the hundreds year old tradition. Krapina as a town has been known since early 12th century. It has always been a favorite site for castles and other country houses of Croatian and Hungarian rulers. In late 19th century, on a hill called Hušnjak, in vicinity of Krapina, the archaeologist and paleontologist Dragutin Gorjanovi?-Kramberger found over eight hundred fossil (Krapinski Pracovjek) remains belonging to Neanderthals.
Accommodation in Hrvatsko Zagorje:
Hrvatsko Zagorje hotel reservations – Hrvatsko Zagorje hotels: low rates, no booking fees, no cancellation fees. Save money! online hotel reservations :
Hotels in Hrvatsko Zagorje:
- Hotel Turist, Varazdin, Hrvatsko Zagorje
“Hotel Turist is located in a quiet environment, only a few minutes walk from the center of the town, the bus stop and the railway station.” Prices from €75 – Number of rooms: 109 – Check Hotel Turist, Varazdin availability
- Pansion Zagi, Orosavlje, Hrvatsko Zagorje “Starting with a small restaurant in 1986, the Pansion Zagi in Oroslavje has become well-known in the region as a very pleasant place to stay.” Prices from €30 – Number of rooms: 48 – Check Pansion Zagi, Oroslavje availability
- Villa Magdalena, Krapinske Toplice, Hrvatsko Zagorje “The first exclusive 4-star hotel in the Hrvatsko Zagorje region, Villa Magdalena, is situated on a picturesque hill in the centre of Krapinske Toplice, boasting luxurious accommodation and superb views.” Prices from €105 – Number of rooms: 9 – Check Villa Magdalena, Krapinske Toplice availability
- Hotel Castle Gjalski – Zabok, Hrvatsko ZagorjeSituated in Gredice Zabocke in the centre of the Hrvatsko Zagorje region, the Hotel Castle Gjalski is near the highway leading to Zagreb – the city is a 20-minute drive away.Check Hotel Castle Gjalski – Zabok
- Terme Tuhelj – Hrvatsko Zagorje The Terme Tuhelj spa hotel is located in the Hrvatsko Zagorje mountain region, half-way between Maribor and Zagreb. It offers numerous indoor and outdoor pools, saunas and steam baths. Prices from €53 – Number of rooms: 138 – Check Terme Tuhelj, Tuhelj availability
- Motel Roganac
Boasting a picturesque location on a hill above the town of Duga Resa 50 km from Zagreb, Motel Roganac looks back upon 25 years of experience in the hospility service. Enjoy the peaceful and quiet environment with lots of greenery and fresh air. Prices from €37.00 – Number of rooms: 17 – Check Motel Roganac, Duga Resa availability
- Bluesun Hotel Kaj Bluesun Hotel Kaj is situated on the slopes of Zagreba?ka gora, 40 km from Zagreb in Marija Bistrica, a pilgrimage site. It offers air-conditioned accommodation and free Wi-Fi access. Prices from €76.00 – Number of rooms: 66 – Check Bluesun Hotel Kaj, Marija Bistrica availability
- Hotel Turist, Varazdin, Hrvatsko Zagorje
Hostel and Private Accommodation in Hrvatsko Zagorje:
- Villa Vnuk, Stubicke Toplice, Hrvatsko Zagorje: private family house in Stubicke Toplice, offering rooms to let
- Hostel Samobor, Samobor – located in the historic city center of Samobor, only 10 minute walk from the Samobor Bus Terminal. Hostel Samobor has two floors with 3 spacious dorms on each floor. They are furnished with new, high-quality beds and wardrobes. Hostel offers several dorm types: 2, 4, 6 and 10 beds. First floor contains laundry, kitchen and living room with 60 chairs, TV and air conditioner. Hostel also provides wireless Internet access…more info and booking
Hrvatsko Zagorje Arrival and Departure:
- By Bus: Autobusni kolodvor Krapina, Trg Ante Star?evi?a, 49000 Krapina, Tel.: +385 ( 049 ) 315 018
- By Train: Željezni?ki kolodvor Krapina, Frana Galovi?a 8, 49000 Krapina, Tel.: +385 ( 049 ) 371 012
- By Plain: to Zagreb Airport or Ljubljana Airport
How to get to Hrvatsko Zagorje:
Istria, Kvarner and Central Croatia Road and Ferry Map
Dalmatia Road and Ferry Map – South Part
Railway Map of Croatia
Hrvatsko Zagorje Photos:
Above photo: Hrvatsko Zagorje in 1920s
More info on Hrvatsko Zagorje:
- Varazdin – Capital of Hrvatsko Zagorje
- Hrvatsko Zagorje Travel Directory
- Hrvatsko Zagorje Travel Blog
- Hrvatsko Zagorje Travel Forum – ask questions and find answers about travelling to Zagorje
- Castles of Hrvatsko Zagorje Croatia
- Zubmerak – Nature Park in Hrvatsko Zagorje
- Medvednica – Nature park in Hrvatsko Zagorje
- Other regions of Central Croatia