Lika is a mountainous region in central Croatia, roughly bound by the Velebit mountain from the southwest and the Plješevica mountain from the northeast. Today most of the territory of Lika is part of Lika-Senj county and some parts part of Karlovac county and Zadar county.
Major towns include Gospic, Otocac, Gracac, Korenica, most of which are located in the karst fields of rivers Licina, Gacka and others.
The Plitvice Lakes National Park is also in Lika. Famous people born in Lika include physicist Nikola Tesla, one of the greatest scientists and inventors in the world.
With its forests Lika is a real paradise for anyone who loves quiet and tranquillity, a relaxing vacation, a place where a city man can satisfy his real curiosity, a thing he always long for. Lika is easy to access from coastal Croatia as well as from Zagreb, the Croatian capital.
Rivers Kupa, Korana, Mrežnica and Dobra, densely forested hills of Velika and Mala Kapela, karst vegetation, transit location and rich historical heritage are the permanent values that underpin the local economy. Throughout the seasons, the four rivers offer a different atmosphere which visitors can experience by walking on their banks, cycling, swimming in the summer, fishing or visiting the nearby caves, while those inclined towards adventure can try rafting and canoeing. Forests provide opportunities for photo safaris, but also the real hunting of various game. The area of Karlovac County has been the most important transit point between North Croatia and its coast since the ancient times. Therefore, from its very establishment in 1579, the city of Karlovac became a strategic, economic and traffic centre of military and civilian Croatia and an intersection of the main roads. Alongside the historic roads like ‘Karolina’ (Karlovac – Bakar, built from 1726 to 1733), ‘Jozefina’ (Karlovac – Senj, 1775-1779), ‘Lujzijana’ (Karlovac – Rijeka, 18051813) and ‘Rudolfina’ (Ogulin – Novi Vinodolski, 1874), the Karlovac County of our time got a modern motorway which connects the Danube countries with the Adriatic Sea.
Accommodation in Lika:
Lika hotel reservations – Lika hotels: low rates, no booking fees, no cancellation fees. Save money! online hotel reservations
The reservation service is free of charge – At Find-Croatia.com you won’t be charged any booking fees, cancellation fees, or administration fees The reservation system is secure and your personal information and a credit card is encrypted.
Best Price Guaranteed: We want you to pay the lowest price possible for your hotel. Should you find your hotel room, with the same booking conditions, at a lower rate on the internet after you have booked, we’ll match it. Just contact us within 24 hours of booking, with details of the website.
Hotels in Lika (Plitvicka Jezera Hotels):
- Hotel Jezero, Plitvice, Lika “Hotel Jezero *** is situated in the very heart of the Plitvice Lakes National Park, only 300m from the largest lake, Kozjak. The hotel offers 229 units, including 7 suites, 7 semi-suites and 5 handicapped equipped rooms.” Prices from €61 – Number of rooms: 229 – Check Hotel Jezero, Plitvicka Jezera availability
- Villa Plitvcka, Plitvice, Lika “Situated in a picturesque area, only a 15-minute walk from one of the Plitvice Lakes, the newly-built, family-run Vila PlitviÄka enjoys a quiet location in the village of Mukinje.” Prices from €60 – Number of rooms: 12 – Check Villa Plitvicka, Plitvicka Jezera availability
- Hotel Bellevue, Plitvice, Lika Bellevue hotel is situated next to the hotel Plitvice. It was built in 1963 and is recognizable for its interesting interior and exterior dominated by wood. The hotel offers you peaceful rest in unique natural surroundings. Prices from €50 – Number of rooms: 70 – Check Hotel Bellevue, Plitvicka Jezera availability
- All hotels in Lika (Plitvicka Jezera)
Hostels and Private Accommodation in Lika:
- At this link, there is a large selection of backpacker hostels and private rooms in private accommodation in Lika and Plitvice Lakes
Lika National Parks
- Plitvicka Jezera – Plitvice Lakes – Croatian National Park in Lika
- North Velebit National Park located in Lika
- Paklenica National Park – also located in Lika
Lika Travel Blog – regular update about Lika travel newsMore about Lika
- Map of Lika and more info – detailed map of the whole region
- Gacka River – a river that crosses a large part of Lika.
- Nikola Tesla Memorial Centre and Theme Park : A memorial centre and theme park is to be opened in the village of Smiljan, the birthplace of renowned scientist Nikola Tesla, located near the town of Gospic in the Lika region, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of Tesla’s birth at which visitors will have an opportunity to learn more about the life of this world-famous genius…
- Velebit – Village Krasno in Eurovillage Project: Krasno, a village located on the high northern slopes of the Velebit mountain chain, is a unique small medieval predecessor place that in the past few years has drawn growing attention from hikers, cyclists, skiers and pilgrims. At an elevation of about 800 metres above sea level, it is one of the highest inhabited areas in Croatia…. read more…