Island of Lopud, with population of just under 400 people, is located in the Elafiti Islands Archipelago , small group of islands in near vicinity of Dubrovnik.

The island covers area of about five square kilometers, with it’s length of 4.5 and width of up to 2 km at it’s max. Island has one village only called Lopud, village that is located at the large beach in bay of the island  (see photo) at the north western coast.

Village of Lopud is centre of Island’s tourist industry, with it’s restaurants, cafes and hotels. The inner part of the island is area where large valley is located so that is where local people grow olives, vine, oranges and lemons. Beside tourism and agriculture, local people are also involved in fishing industry.

Lopud hotel reservations – Lopud hotels: low rates, no booking fees, no cancellation fees. Save money! online hotel reservations in partnership with Booking.com

Lopud Hotels

Hostels, Apartments, Pansions, Private Accommodation on Lopud Island

History of the island dates from the ancient times. At that times, Lopud was called Delaphodia – a greek version of name Lopud, as well as Lafota, later – the Roman version. At the times of Dubrovnik Republic (from eleventh century), Lopud was part of it’s territory, so that was the historical beginning of Lopud being connected to Dubrovnik as it’s administrative centre.

Monuments at Lopud: The oldest monuments on the island are the ruins of a pre-Romanesque churches of Sveti Ilija with it’s wall paintings, as well as churches of Sveti Petar, Sveti Nikola and Sveti Ivan from the same period.


There is also Crkva Svetog Trojstva (Holy Trinity church) from sixteenth century that is located at the very beginnig of Lopud bay.

Well known Franciscan monastery with its magnificent cloister built in late 15th century is there too. At the monastery, there are numerous art works in church of Sveta Marija Spilica: a polyptych by the Venetian painter Pietro di Govanni from 1523, a triptych from the workshop of Nikola Bozidarevic, parts of a polyptych by Girolamo da Santacroce, The Crucifixion, a work by a member of the Venetian family Bassano, the painting of Mary in a Wreath of Flowers, a work by a Flemish Baroque painter, the carved choir stalls from the 15th century.

Along the Lopud bay there is also deserted Dominican monastery, from 1482, built in Gothic-Renaissance style. Also, above the village are the ruins of the Duke’s Palace, a two-story Gothic structure with a terrace garden.