New Book – Tourist Guide to Koprivnica
Koprivnica – A Town With A Heart, is the title of the new tourist guidebook, published along with a detailed geographic and tourist map of the entire Koprivnica-Križevci County and a map of the town itself.
The 60-page guidebook, which features numerous and attractive photos, presents the rich history of the town and focuses on spotlighting all of the key events and, of course, brings a description of all of the town’s cultural points of interest and monuments.
There is also a contemporary depiction of the town, the galleries of Koprivnica and the natural points of interest, while great attention has been paid to the descriptions of events and happenings staged in the town throughout the year. Prominent among the numerous events are: the Podravina Motifs – an event traditionally staged in early July when the town becomes one big gallery of naive art. There is aslo an attractive Renaissance festival based on the history of Koprivnica, the antique automobile race and many other events.
About Koprivnica: Koprivnica is the central settlement in the Podravina region in Croatia (region located around Drava river) , that won the status of a royal free town as far back as in the year 1356. The old panorama of the town, still discernable to this day, emerged in the 16th century after the Turkish incursions into the area, when a strong earthwork fortress was built around the settlement with four bastions and four towers. The predominantly wooden construction of the period saw the fortress gradually deteriorate, so that only its southeastern bastion and the moats around it are now visible. Baroque period buildings are prominent and of greatest interest among the older cultural monuments, edifices such as the St Anthony of Padua church complex with its Franciscan monastery and beautiful annex in the form of the Salvatore chapel and the Oružane building from 1714. Expanding outside of the area within the town walls, now the town core with a square adjacent to a spacious park featuring a late 19th century music pavilion, it gets its final form in the early 20th century.