Rab is one of the islands of the Kvarner Bay archipelago in the north of the Croatian Adriatic Sea. In addition to the ancient town of the same name, there are seven other idyllic places scattered over the island: Barbat, Banjol, Palit, Kampor, Mundanije, Supetarska Draga and Lopar. There are about 9 thousands inhabitants on the island mostly engaged in agriculture, fishing, shipbuilding and tourism. The island has tradition of organized tourism for more than 112 years.
Rab is linked to the mainland with good road and ferryboat connections. To the south, ferryboats on the route Mišnjak – Jablanac (a place 105 km. far from Rijeka) ply 8-20 times a day (even more frequently, if necessary) during the whole year. The journey lasts 15 minutes. From Jablanac roads branch off towards Zagreb, Pula, Ljubljana and Trieste.
The internal part of the continent may be reached through the so called “Jozefinska cesta”, a road leading from Senj (50 km. far from Rab), through te saddle of Vratnik, Velika, Mala Kapela and Lika, to Karlovac and Zagreb.
To the north, the island is connected by ferryboats plying on the route Lopar-Senj and Lopar-Baška (Krk) 3 – 8 times a day during the tourist season. Jadrolinija’s ferries connect Rab with Rijeka, Zadar, Šibenik, Split and Dubrovnik several times a week, in both directions, during the whole year.
A coach line connects Rab with Rijeka throughout the whole year and also with Zagreb, in the summer period.
Small photo gallery of Rab:
- All hotels on Rab, book here!
- Hotel Padova “Situated directly on the sea in the bay of Prva Padova, approx. 20 minutes walk from the old town or with a taxi-boat. Rooms: renovated with hairdryer, Sat/TV, Air condition, mini-bar, balcony, telephone. Services: breakfast and dinner – buffet.” Prices from €55 – Number of rooms: 150 – Check Hotel Padova, Rab availability
- Hotel Carolina “Our hotel is situated directly on the beach, on the little peninsula, in one of the most beautiful and greenest parts of the island (5 km from the town Rab). The hotel is newly renovated with most of the rooms having seaside view.” Prices from €47 – Number of rooms: 130 – Check Hotel Carolina, Rab availability
- Hotel Imperial “Position: situated in the exotic town park just above the old town of Rab & approx. 5 minutes walk to the beach. Rooms: all new renovated, seaside or parkside, some with balcony. Bathroom and wc, hairdryer, phone, sat-tv, Air condition.” Prices from €50 – Number of rooms: 140 – Check Hotel Imperial, Rab availability
- List of all hotels on Rab island
History : The island was inhabited already in the ancient time of the Stone Age and it gave a shelter to its inhabitants. In the place called Zidine (fortress) in the northern part of the island, which is called Lopar, a settlement lived uninterrupted through younger Stone Age, then chatcolithic, Bronze Age until the IV. century AD when at the mentioned location an old Greek military fortification was built. The remains of this military fortress as well as the remains of other former times you cansee if you walk to the mentioned location.The town of Rab has also a long history that dates back to the 10. year BC. In tis year the town was mentioned in an old Roman document, in which the Roman Ceaser Augustus declares it a municipium and grands it independence. Afterwards the town got a rare and venerable epithet Felix which explains that the town of Rab was even then a developed and civilised town and that its inhabitants enjoyed luxury of running water, seaside resorts, a theatre, temples, arragement of streets and many other things. Althought there is little left on the antque town of Rab, it is worthwhile to see preserved and prosperous Rab of the early and late Romanesque period which brought with a new kind of urbanism and wonderful arhitecture of town houses, churches, monasteries and belfries influenced by the Mediterranean spirit. It is worthwhile to experiance the adventurous controversial feeling and coldness and warm-heartedness of stone ambience, numerous stone portals and windows, which separate the outer noisy life of its inhabitants from the secretive and hidden one.
Latest news from Rab at Croatia Travel Blog:
Rab Island hotel recommended by The Guardian: In Saturday eddition of the Guardian’s travel supplement, under the title ‘Winter Croat’, Rab Island’s Hotel Arbiana is recommended as winter break destination:‘Whiling away a few days on a private balcony overlooking the green Adriatic, on the tiny Croatian island of Rab is a sure-fire way to banish the winter blues… more
Rab the City of Art – Book Launch: The book ‘Rab The City of Art’ by Miljenko Domijan will be launched in Croatian Embassy in London UK on Thursday 21st of February at 7pm. Mr Domijan, Chief Conservator at the Croatian Ministry of Culture will give an illustrated talk about the restoration of Rab.. more
TURISTICKA ZAJEDNICA GRADA RABA – Island of Rab – General Information, culture, travel and more Island of Rab croatian/german/english – Vacation rentals on island of Rab. Beautiful and old Mediterranean town situated on Adriatic coast. http://www.tzg-rab.hr/ + Topographic RAB island map – map of island RAB
- Ferries to Rab Island
- Ferry Rab Island (Lopar) – Krk Island (Valbiska)